Thursday, December 11, 2014

Fast forward

It's hard to believe so many years have gone by since I started this blog. It's so interesting to look back at the old posts and see what was going on at the time. Especially now that my life has recently changed drastically with the birth of our first child! I would love to keep blogging regularly just because, but the main reason I am getting back into this is for Evyn, our new daughter, and her eye journey". I found a few other blogs by moms of children with cataracts and thought that was a good way to keep record, relieve some stress by journaling, and share ideas/spread awareness of what this somewhat rare "condition" entails. A little about my life these days: We are still in the home we built over 5 years ago. I love this home. It fits us so well and I never thought we'd be here this long despite that. We are always on the look out to move somewhere new (locally), but are quite content where we're at at the same time. I think I would be sad if we do end up moving, but also am always looking for change. Our last cat, Toodles, passed away a little over a year ago. She was an older cat and fell ill with kidney disease. Her condition deteriorated pretty quickly and I really had no idea that I should've taken it so seriously when a vet told me that's what was wrong when she first showed symptoms. She was really the sweetest most affectionate cat and was so in love with me and no one else. She followed me everywhere. Any spot in the house she would be on me if I let her or right beside me. It was hard losing her, but I'm so happy that no matter what the first 9 years of her life was like, I know that her coming home and living with us the last few years made her happy. A couple of months after Toodles, I found out I was pregnant. This was planned and great news, but I was struck with morning sickness almost immediately and was glad I didn't have any extra responsibility because I could barely make it through my days (for weeks) as it was. I knew I wanted another cat eventually, but wasn't going to worry about it just yet. After the sickness started to subside I knew it was time. I wanted to have a cat and get acquainted with it before the baby came so we adopted Kenny from Petsmart in April. He was about a year old and a curious friendly young cat. He adapted to us and our home immediately and what a wonderful addition he has been. He's almost completely opposite from Toodles. He doesn't sit on anyone's lap, even mine, he loves being around people, he hardly sheds and is very low maintenance in general. I do sometimes miss the sweetness and cuddles of Toodles, but am happy with Ken for sure. He reminds me of Eric, our original cat. In October our daughter was born after almost 42 weeks of pregnancy and our lives changed! It is ridiculous how unprepared we were for what was ahead. Everyone "warns" you and tries to tell you this, but no matter what you think you know, you can't be prepared for how crazy the first few weeks will be. Parenthood has been the most challenging thing in my life. A life where nearly everything comes easy to me and the things that don't I am usually able to conquer anyway. I truly am amazed that so many people have kids and went through this (and more than once!). I really do have a new outlook on parenting and appreciation for my own. Each week it seems things get better and easier (still not EASY). one additional "challenge" we have is that Evyn was born with cataracts in her eyes. I'll start a new post and delve into the details of that and where we are today.

No comments:

Post a Comment